Wednesday 28 December 2011

Being 17...



 I'd like to provide a brief introduction before you actually read. It was something I penned down..a couple of days before I turned 18. Could feel the jitters, and so…I came up with this article. Happy reading!

     17 - A number like every other number for people. For the masses, nothing sets this number apart from its counterparts. A proper arithmetical number with two digits. A perilous one for some, for the superstitious folks. (Satra Khatra, as they say!)

Nonetheless, this no. holds a special place in my heart, something more significant, then just being a mere soulless two digit number.

The journey commenced, when I was brought into this volatile world, by my self-sacrificing parents. I will always remain indebted to them, for having bestowed me with life.

For everyone who steps into this vulnerable yet sturdy and steady globe, life's definitely not a bed of roses; thorns also form an integral part of this treasured journey. Life's a mixture - with every component mixed in tantamount. What you sense maximum, is what you make out of it.

Haven’t been able to figure out, what all this is? Without any further ado, I'll tell you what all it is.

Being the chunky, cherubic kid next door, folks showered me with immense love and adulation. And being the first child too, added to my ecstatic childhood. Being the apple of my father's eye, life was always a smooth sailing boat-ride, cherishing every wave of joy that brought along with it oodles of wonderment. Life always threw astounding surprises. Whoa! Was the best phase of my life.

Gradually, I became a teen. Eventually, I turned 14, a year passed by...and then 15. It went on, until one day...something terrible got me trapped into its intricate web, until I was released some days ago, out of its pathetic agony. Life seemed devastating. It shattered me off entirely.

Days withered, and so did the spirit within this soul. The energy within dwindled with every passing day, with every passing moment! My self-belief crumbled like the cookies. ‘Life would never be the same’ - I pondered.
I was wrong. Life had other plans in store!

And after the sundown, arrived a day - when I finally turned 17. Life took a hair pin bent. This phase of my life, for reasons unknown, bought a mammoth change in me. I could feel the transition within myself.

Some more days, and I will have completed 17 years of life. Having accumulated diverse experiences in these 17 years of existence - my kitty seems pretty heavy, loaded with a plethora of vivid memories. I feel ready to embrace the world!

I'll be 18 soon, will be worthy of referring to myself as an ‘Adult’. In fact, I shall officially be an ‘adult’. Until yesterday, I was a child, and now an ‘Adult’. I'll miss being 17. Being 17 was so unfussy, so sweet, and so childish. Suddenly, the world appears so haphazard, so baffling. Will I ever surpass everyone’s expectations, with flying colors? Will I savor success? Questions galore!
I turn 18 and lo, whole lot of responsibilities, will be crowning my head.


17th was a year, that meant a lot to me! It bought an entire shift, in my perspective towards the planet, its beings, and its subtle mystery. It made me more matured. Taught me the rules of life, and yet reminded me to be free from the glitches of dogma, to remain unique, to be the one and only, and to carve out a niche for oneself!

Having lived a quarter of life (presumably), life seems stupendous with its capricious and quaint nature.

Every time life throws up something miserable - I have learnt to say 'Bring it on' because that is what defines the essence of human existence! Challenge it, face it, live it, enjoy it, and never regret it! :-)


4 comments: